ACTC Adult Bike Driving Academy
The Academy is held twice a year. Typically starting late February and late July. The next session starts July 28. Click on “Join the Academy” (on the left).”
Bike Driving I & II
Twelve weeks of cycling instruction for adults who want to become competent cyclists. The course consists of two six-week modules: Bike Driving I and Bike Driving II.
Class size is limited.
See the calendar for start dates.
Do you want to:
- Join the fun of cycling?
- Learn about your gears and how to shift?
- Learn to fix your own flats?
- Learn how to ride safely in traffic?
The curriculum consists of lectures, demonstrations, practice, and supervised rides. (See Curriculum, left menu)
ACTC Academy Faculty is composed of experienced and qualified volunteer instructors many of whom are graduates of the Academy; several are League of American Bicyclists Cycling Instructors (LCI).
- Must have a geared bike (7 or more speeds) in good working condition
- It is recommended you do not buy a new bike for the Academy. If you do not own a bike, beg or borrow a used one. You will be better informed for such a buying decision after some time in the Academy
- Should be able to ride at least ten miles in an hour without becoming exhausted
- Wear a CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) approved bicycle helmet
- Membership in Almaden Cycle Touring Club is required for all participants
- Due to insurance concerns, we must limit the Academy to people 14 years old or older.
- Parents must participate with their children if they are age 14 through 17.
Enrollment is open to everyone, but students must be members of ACTC at the time of the first class. If you are not yet a member, you may download the ACTC membership application from the club website Fill it out and mail it to the PO Box on the form.